Heart Ultrasound (Echocardiography)
CVCA utilizes premium level echocardiography with the latest technology available in human pediatric equipment. The image quality, quantification, and extensive training of our cardiologists allow for quicker, more accurate diagnosis, which can translate to earlier detection and treatment for your patients. We encourage clients to remain with their pets throughout this procedure, which is performed by the cardiologist. This helps to calm the patient, as well as to inform the owner in real time about our findings and what they mean to your pet. The echocardiogram is a noninvasive diagnostic tool with excellent diagnostic capabilities when properly performed.
What is it?
- Gold standard test for pets with heart problems
- Done from the outside of the pet
- Uses sound waves to create clear images of all parts of the heart
Who does it?
- Cardiologist themselves perform and interpret this test (over 21,000/year)
- Owners are present for the whole test and see the images in real time
How long does it take to get the results?
- 0 -15 minutes
- Results are analyzed and a treatment plan is discussed right away due the training and board certification of our cardiologists and residents.
Patients are not typically shaved for echocardiograms. Alcohol and ultrasound gel are applied to the fur on each side of the chest as the pet lies on his or her side. Many measurements are taken during the procedure and analyzed to give you the results right away so that treatment can be started immediately.