Amlodipine Drug Handout
What is Amlodipine?
This drug lowers blood pressure. It opens up blood vessels and decreases the workload on the heart.
- Usually used to treat high blood pressure in the dog and cat.
- Sometimes used to treat heart failure in the dog.
- Rarely used to treat high pressure in the lungs.
Possible Negative Effects
Please contact CVCA if your pet shows any of these signs
- Not eating well
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- More tired than usual
- Abnormal gum growth: uncommon but possible
- Increased heart rate
- Can be given with food and with other heart medications
- Dosing is once or twice a day
- Can be given as a pill or a flavored liquid
- Do not skip doses
- When on this drug, the pet needs to have their blood pressure checked every 3-4 months for life
Interactions with Other Drugs
- Increased risk for hypotension when combined with other drugs (Lasix/furosemide, ACEi such as enalapril, beta blockers such as atenolol)
- The doctors at CVCA have taken this into account, however, please contact CVCA to discuss any concurrent medications your pet may be prescribed
- Amlodipine oral tablets – 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg pill sizes
- Name brand: Norvasc
©2021, CVCA - Cardiac Care for Pets. All Rights Reserved.